Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Failed Test

So I did the detox diet and continued to follow it in the days following. I did have a cupcake and 2 small cookies (from Whole Foods..not that that makes them better, but just a bit better for you). In the following 2 days I lost another 4.5lbs. I thought, wow, I am doing awesome! I think I will test the limits of what I can eat. It was partially curiosity, and partially a friend prodding, and then there was a little bit of desire on my own part, but I went to a pizza buffet. Oh yes, alllllll the things I should not eat - gluten (a lot of it), dairy (questionable at that), sugars (I just had to have the sticky bun for dessert). The only things I think I stayed clear of there was the grains and soy (because unless they are hidden in something, would they really be in a pizza parlor?). It was good. I have to admit. It was not fabulous, but it was good.

I weighed in the next morning and it was not THAT good! I gained 3.5lbs. OMG REALLY! Yes, really. I was shocked. I did not think I would gain back that much. Given, when Walter got off work and neither of us wanted to cook dinner, we did go to Torchy's for a massive burrito which was pretty good but include the grain (rice) that I was lacking earlier. I was pissed at myself. I could not believe my moment of weakness (that was not going there, but exceeding what I should have had and knowing it. Bad to think, "Oh, I am blowing it already so may as well do it all the way"). I knew what I was doing but did not think it was going to be that bad. Well, I behaved the next day. I did snack heavily on peanuts (probably not the best choice when I was bloating from all the pizza from the day before, but oh well). The next morning came and I weighed myself again. Zero! What? Are you kidding me? Zero? I reweighed and it was the same. I could not believe it. I behaved and did not lose a thing.

I was so accustomed to losing every day for the past 13 days that it never occured to me I could gain again. I was feeling like the biggest loser....really, just like the tv show when someone who was on a roll ended up losing nothing. That was yesterday. Not saying that my response to that zero was the right one, but I was lazy yesterday too. I ate some left over fried potatoes for breakfast (I know, where is the protein..there was none!), then for lunch I grilled some salmon and ate it with some eggs (well, there was the protein and fat, but where the fuck were the carbs!), then felt like a sweet, so had 4 small peaches (sounds like I was on track there right...just wait) covered in Half and Half (there's the zinger). I was watching movies at this time. I put the second one in and decided I wanted popcorn (here come the grains or as someone told me "razor blades to the colon"). If that was not bad enough, I added butter to it (but I have to say, it was a lot less than usual and it was fantastic). For dinner I met a friend out and had a beer and a burger oh...and queso and chips. ZING ZING ZINGER! Yup. I lost it again yesterday. It was a wonder why I possibly weighed in today. I knew I should not have, but thank god I did. It really gave me the reality of what doing shit like that is doing to me.

I weighed in and gained a pound and 1/2. So here it is. My 17lb weight loss just became a 12lb. loss. I was so excited I was finally in the 270's and literally 3 lbs away from being in the 260's (something I have not seen in like 6-7 years) and I fucked it up. I tested myself and I failed. Eating better is the way to go.

There is room for fun, like a cupcake one night after work, but nothing like gorging on pizza (which I think is still in my system and why the hamburger busted me, but it was prob the peached and cream and popcorn too!). Today I am back on the wagon! I am staying strict to it! I cannot afford to gain weight after losing. Once I am under 220 then I will consider it more. I will consider it once a week too, but no more! Back on the wagon baby! I am going to be rollin' again!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Steve..you really should joing Weight Watchers. You can eat what you want...within limits, and it's not nearly as restricted as the detox diet. Essentially, the points are calories. Each point is about 50 calories. I have 36 points allocated, so I can eat 1800calories. As I lose weight the points/calories are more restricted.

Within the points restriction, you need 5 servings of liquids, 5 fruits and veggies, whole grains, 1 multi vitamin, 2 milks 2 servings of healthy oil.

It's not good to "deprive" your body of stuff that you know you'll eventually eat...but WW is all things in moderation...which is sensible and do-able.

Let me know if you want more info! You can do it online, too..which you would like.

Don't beat yourself up. It's hard to be "perfect" which is why a "diet" never works...a lifestyle works...not a diet.

And if it makes you feel better, I completely killed my points today. Ate yummy brisket and loved every minute of it!

Brooke said...

I totally think its portion control :] so try that maybe?
eat small portions!!