Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Something for the New Year

I am not one for making New Years resolutions. I actually think they are lame. Most people make them and then cannot even remember them after a month let alone have worked on them. I also think that if there is something you feel you need to change or improve on, then why wait until New Years to do it? Seriously? If you want to quick smoking, stop now while you have the chance! If you want to lose ten pounds, start now because it might have to be 20 by New Years after all the holiday gluttony. So, I don't make them. I do however feel that I need to say something at the beginning of this year. I need some thoughts in writing. I need to vent something, or just reflect. I don't really know where this is going, but I guess we will see what comes.

First of all, I am fat. I am so pissed at myself because of it. I have let this happen and tried to blame it on so many things that it is ridiculous. While one excuse was legit, that has been corrected for 5 years now and I am still fat. I like food. I cannot help that. I like the flavors. I like the textures. I like the smells and the aromas. I love to learn about it. I love to cook it. I love everything about it. One thing I cannot love about it is my self control around it. I could easily portion things out. I have done it before and with great success. But I don't. I could be cooking more nutrient dense foods that will leave me more satiated. But I revert to my old standbys. I am in full control, yet I sit back and never change the channel. Oh, don't get me wrong. I browse the TV Guide A LOT, but I just cannot seem to change the channel. It is not like anything is that great on the channel. I am holding the control right here, but I never change it. I guess what I get pissed off at the most is I have the tools and the knowledge to eat right, get fit, slim down, yet I do not have the motivation. What I don't want is to be forced to get the motivation by getting diabetes or heart disease or some other preventable thing.

Ok...so this is going to start to look like a resolution...but it is not. But here I say it....and I am sure I have said it before, but here it is again....I am going to do this. Starting today. Starting right now (after I end this blog). I am going to do better. AND HERE IS MY PLAN from tomorrow until I leave to my mom's 70th Birthday on the 26th.

I will blog daily about my food I eat, my cravings, my trials, my exercise or lack there of, my stress levels. That is part 1. I will call my blogging the "accountability stage".

Part 2 will be the "eating my own words" stage. In this stage I will be eating MORE veggies and green, MORE grains, LESS meat, MINIMAL to NO refined sugars (can't help the sugars in fruits and I am going to do honey in my tea), NO gluten, NO soy, NO dairy (sorry butter), MINIMAL oils (still need some good fats to be satiated and for my joints), MORE fish, LESS beef. Okay...those are my word and I will eat them!

Part 3, "Get off yo' damn ass". Yup! That's it. I think of that being said in the southern tone of Kenisha Jackson! She has got some spirit in her and would smack the shit out of me with all her love and kindness to get me off my ass and do something! Stretching in a great start...yoga, meditation, long, meaningful stretches. Going with that I have a decision to make. I have a spin bike, practically new, that is either going to be sold or taken in our move in March. If I start using it, it will be taken, if not, sold. My goal is to take that sucker because I would not be able to live without it. Getting off my damn ass and using it is the key. OFF...MY...DAMN...ASS!!!

Well, I guess that is what is on my mind for the new year! Thank god I know how to make a gluten free corn bread when I get the craving!

You know, I often think to myself that I am not passionate about anything. I think this is what I am passionate about. Being the best me, and giving that best me to Walter, my family and my friends. Not only do I deserve it, they deserve the best me too!

See you tomorrow on my blog! Wonder what I am going to be eating....


2 comments:

Wendy said...

Go Steve! I'm fat, too. I'm also not making a resolution, but I am working on it. Day two of a 14 day gluten-free zone for me.

Walter Davis said...

Babe, I will always be there for support! I will join this journey with you. You can lean on me too!