Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Less is More in your Wallet

So why is it that our culture thinks that we want the biggest portions for the buck at restaurants? I know everyone wants a good deal, but really, look what it is doing to us! Bigger is making us HUGE! Most of the time I cannot even finish my meal, yet, time and time again, I order the thing that give me the biggest bang for my buck. Do I do that because they offer it? or because I want the left overs? I don't know, but what I do know is that I really wish I could go to a restaurant and get a proper sized portion meal for a decent price. I want something that I will probably not throw out or have to take home for an equitable price.

Half portions are seriously awesome, but often times not half the price, but rather $2-$3 less. So I am getting half as much for 1/5th less price? That just does not add up to me. I would rather pay full price for a full order and have lunch for the next day! That makes financial sense! I say, especially with the economy they way it is, that restaurants cut the portions, cut the price and have more frequent visits from customers because they can afford to come more often because each trip is not such a financial burden.

Now think of this, if people are not so stuffed, they will start to order desserts, after dinner coffees, and even more appetizers. I know that when I go out we often skip the appetizers because A. they are really pricey and B. because after eating that we are too full for our meal! Less is more! Let me spell it out a little:

Dining Currently at and Average Chain Restaurant:
Appetizer.......6.99
Entree...........10.99 x2
Dessert.........4.99 x2
Drinks..........1.99 x2
________________
Total Ideal Dinner $42.93 + tip and tax
minus out the desserts (because you are too full) $32.98 +tip and tax
Now you are debating the appetizer because you know the meal is big $25.96 +tip and tax

Imagine Smaller Portions and Prices:
Appetizer......$4.99
Entree..........$6.99 x2
Dessert.........$2.99 x2
Drinks..........$1.99 x2
_________________
Total Smaller Portion Meal $28.93 +tip and tax

You are spending less on food costs because you are serving less, but people can now afford to eat each course and not at the risk of becoming overly full and fat! and your average bill is up $3!

Anyhow, that is what I think. I am sure they have paid smarter people to figure out their side, but from the side of a diner who grew up to eat everything on his plate and lacks the control to not and has become a bit chubby because of it (not totally, but highly contributed by), I say smaller portions, smaller price. Chant it with me! Smaller Portions! Smaller Price! Smaller Portions! Smaller Price! Smaller Portions! Smaller Price! Smaller Portions! Smaller Price!

No comments: