Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My Friends...My New Goal

I swear that I have the best bunch of friends ever. They are there to listen to me when I have troubles, there to bounce ideas off, and there to build me up whether they realize it or not.

Lately I have felt that I do not share my appreciation of them as often as I should. I have turned into not the best telephone talker so have stopped calling as much. I don't email much either. I guess, for a communication major in college, I am just not a good communicator lately. I am frankly too lazy to send them card (or the fact that I don't think about it until times like now where I think I will just do it in the morning and never remember to), I don't text them as often as I should, and well, I already touched on the telephone calls. I do have a new goal though. I try to tell them every time I get off the phone with them after a conversation to let them know I miss them or love them, because I truly do.

For those who know me well, you will know that I do not use the "love" word often (except with Walter on a daily basis). I do not even tell certain family members that I love them because I honestly don't and it can be really rude to end the ever so brief and rare conversations with them with as "well hey, I put up with you because we share DNA. Have a good one!" For me to use "love" toward someone I really have to feel that way. There are friends of mine who we have a lot of history together. I love them. There are friends who we hang out and do things together. I like them a lot, but still building on the loving them. There are friends I don't see often or talk to regularly, but still, I like them a lot and some I really love. I do let them know. It is my new goal to let them know.

I just got off the phone with one of my dearest friends. You know who you are when you read this. I said "I love you" to this person and I heard (or didn't hear) an pause of unexpecting and then a reply of "I love you too." I sure hope people don't tell me that because I say it first. I say it because I do and I do appreciate them!

Please readers, if you don't already... stop assuming people know their worth to you. Let them know. Speak up. Share. It will make their day. I know it makes mine.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

You're a good man, Stevie! I DO LOVE YOU...and Walter! You are the best. In my old age, I have said this more to my friends. It's a great thing to do...you never know when you won't have that opportunity again.