Thursday, March 5, 2009

Reconnecting...

OK, so I am the biggest "I don't have the time or care for (insert: MySpace, Facebook, Friendster, etc.) ". But during my boredom lately I signed up for Facebook since it seems to be the most adult, non-hook up, least crazy person, and least hard to look at site out of the big 3.

It was actually pretty cool. It started with me finding who of my friends had account all ready, then in turn it was me looking for people I had not seen and sometimes thought of for years. In turn, I was able to find friends all the way back to childhood. It was awesome! I found my best friend as a child Kevin. Chatted with him online for a bit. It was a great time catching up. I found a bunch of friends I had when I was in Salt Lake City, people whom I just lost touch with and not seen in about 10 years. I found co-workers from jobs past, friends in foreign lands and the yesterday I found a friend, through another friend, who actually lives here in Austin. I was ecstatic. I requested his friendship, and he immediately responded. He was looking through my profile and saw Austin and asked me where I was at. I gave him my office location and he was elated! Jumped in his car and met me! It was great to see this friend whom I have not seen in about 10 years or so. We talked and talked and talked, then went to his house, picked up his partner and went to have dinner where much more talking ensued. It was great.

I wish that all my friends who I have reconnected with could be here so I could see them and chat face to face. Unfortunately, that is not a reality, but what is, is that I know where they are now and when the chance arises, I can visit them.

I am also thrilled to have another friend here in Austin. We have been so lucky to meet such wonderful people, but now to have someone who I have a history with is so exciting too!

So, lesson learned, Facebook is not that bad. Best part it, you can connect with those you want and leave the rest. Don't feel like you or obligated to be friends with old acquaintances. If you didn't like them then, you probably won't like them now. So save the grief and let them be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now we can sit and listen to your "history" conversations instead of it always being Walter, Terry, Lexa and I! I am so happy you found some of your past right here in Austin....this place is AUS-OME! haha...loves!