Thursday, March 5, 2009

Let's Go Fly A Kite...

So last weekend I spent Saturday bored at home doing laundry. Walter worked and I was just bored. Well, that night a friend and I decided to go see The Reader at the cinema. What a great film. I was crying by the end. I could not help it. Anyhow, that was not what this blog is about, but wanted to add it in since it was such a good film.

Sunday, however (this is where the title of the blog comes in), was the 81st Annual Kite Festival at Zilker Park. Who does not love kites and, with such a beautiful day, who didn't want to be out there. Who is right! Everyone was there. It was packed, parking a mess, roads crazy, but all totally worth it. We were scheduled to meet friends there, and thank god for cell phones! We would have never found them.

We parked, walked a nice distance to the park, then a further distance to get to the main area. There were tons of people there. Everyone was having a good time, enjoying the beautiful day. I was personally just trying to not be clothes-lined by one of the kite strings and came near to it once, tripped on another once, and was almost pegged in the back of the head by another (fortunately it missed me and I only got the tail hitting me).

It was fun to meet up with friends, walk around and people watch, watch kites, and munch on some highly over priced, undersized festival food (I was penniless and starving by the end). We spent a good 3 hours there soaking in the sun and atmosphere. What a great day. I must say that I am loving living in Austin! Never seems to be a dull moment (except when I am home alone doing laundry).

No comments: