Thursday, January 22, 2009

A Lesson in Walking

So we have been trying to be a little more active, especially since we spend all morning on the computer searching for jobs and applying relentlessly. We have been tending to spend most our evenings in to avoid depleting the last of our funds to live on until we find some income sources (i.e. jobs!). That leaves our afternoons perfectly free to get out and do something. On Monday we attempted to go jogging. I say attempted because I was less successful on the endeavor. I started off well for the first, well, I would say 400-500 meters. Then I started to be out of breath (naturally since I have not exercised in such a long time) and then my leg started to hurt. Not in the spots you would assume. So I started to walk. It continued to hurt and the pain started to increase. I was ready to head back to the car. I thought I may have over done it and may have hurt my fat ass. So after sitting in the car a minute (the hurt leg is the one I use on the pedals of the car) I started and drove home. I was determined to try again, walking next time, the next day.
The next day came and went. I spent most of it applying for jobs while Walter did some foot work on his attempt to find work. It was yesterday we ventured back out to the lake (we walk at a park on Lady Bird Lake in the center of town). Again, we started off well and at a decent pace. We made it a bit further than the time before but my leg started hurting again. We turned around. I knew I should have put in my arch supports. I meant to to see if that would have helped. I forgot them. It hurt, but I did make it longer than the time before. I may just have to work my way up to getting this muscle worked into shape, but I don't know.
Forward to today. Thank god for the internet! I searched pictures of the leg's anatomy and found (what I think) what might be the problem. I have found a muscle in my leg (the Peroneus Longus) that apparently is the one that stabilizes your footing while walking on uneven surfaces. It is apparently one that I have not stretched out in a VERY VERY VERY long time (because I did not know I had one honestly). SOOOO, my goal today, change my shoes, put in an arch support, stretch the muscle according to www.sportsinjuryclinic.net and see if we can have a nice refreshing walk today. I really hope this works or helps. I love to walk and hate that this pain might effect that. I would like to work up to jogging (mainly because everyone here jogs it seems and I just want to oddly fit in that way) and mostly, just to get some excersize and better my fitness level. There may be another post today about how it worked out. A little lunch first, then the test! Anyhow, sorry the post is boring today, but it is what is on my mind!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I need to move more myself. Dean and I are going back to WW this weekend...and we will be adding in some more activity. Be persistent. If you can't walk at first...try water aerobics...like at the Y or something. It's supposed to be great for you. I remember when Bradley was 11,he'd do water aerobics up at the U with all of the old, wrinkly ladies. They loved him!!!

Anonymous said...

Run-Tex. They make you take your shoes off and see how your feet land so they can show you the best shoe for your individualized foot. I <3 them.