Monday, October 5, 2009

Life Is A Balancing Act

Work, school, studies, TV, exercise, relationships, social interactions, eating, relaxing, traveling. Life can be busy with whatever it is you do. Some people say they don't have time to do it all. Some have so much extra time they don't know what to do with it. I, myself, try to keep all that balanced out. I notice that when I do that I tend to be happier, healthier and less stressed out.

Often we put too many demands on ourselves. By doing this we over fill our "plate" so to speak. I do it. I try not to, but sometimes it does happen. I also do the opposite and am too lazy to step up to the buffet of life and starve myself. How does one keep the right balance?

Balance is in every part of our lives. Food is a huge part of my life. I love to cook and love to eat. I love to experience new flavors and different foods. Even here there has to be a good balance. I cannot eat too many heavy foods or fried foods or I will get sick. I cannot eat fine dining too much or I will be broke. I cannot eat huge portions or I will become more fat. If I eat too much sugar I need to be ready for the results of that on the scale. I am learning that to keep that balance is easier that I would have thought a little while ago. If I eat sensibly the majority of the time, I can over do it every little bit, I just have to remember to be more strict about what I eat to compensate. If we only learned food balance, we would probably be a healthier country. Eat in moderation (balance) and eat more healthy foods than unhealthy processed foods (balance), but don't deny yourself things you like.

Any good trainer will tell you that after you work out, your muscle group needs rest. I unfortunately rest too much and don't work out the muscle groups enough. I am very out of balance there. I need to do better. I know I need to do better, but somewhere in my mind I am not willing to do better. I would rather relax on my day off (like I am now sitting at the Coffee Bean typing this). The problem with me is that when I am doing it, I love to exercise. I totally get into it. I need to find a way to motivate my ass into doing it! Balance. All about balance.

At work yesterday I woman came through my line and I asked her how her weekend was going. Her response, "Well, these few hours I am getting off to come shopping and make myself dinner are good, but other than that I have been working. I don't have much free time." How sad. Everyone needs time off work. I could tell by her clothing and the exotic and expensive mushrooms she was purchasing that she was paid well for what she does, but at what price to her life. I could tell she was single and working all the time. I want nice things. I want a life where I can afford to do anything I want to do, but I also want time to do it and someone to experience it with. Balance.

Some say that distance makes the heart grow fonder. I can roll with that. It does not really have to be a literal distance, but time. Walter and I over the past few weeks have not seen much of each other. His store opening, my erratic work schedule, and just those things that happen in life have caused this. I miss him when I don't see him much. I think it is healthy. I long to spend time with him when we do have time together, even if it is (like right now) just sitting together doing our own things. When we spend too much time together, I like it, but often need that "me time". Again, balance in relationships with others. Nice to have them around, but nice to be alone sometimes too. To keep this balance and not resent the other these times are needed. It also works with friends, family members and other people you associate with regularly. It stunts resentments but enforces stronger appreciations for the other.

Balance can be found in every aspect of our lives. It takes balance to walk, to sit, to even be awake. We just need to pay attention to those things in our lives and assess if they are in balance and be willing to make the adjustments. I am working at being willing to work out and exercise more. I am more than willing to eat healthier and snack on sugary sweets less. I am willing to be alone, but spend any possible time with my partner. I am often willing to spend free time with friends as well. I am still making the proper adjustments and some are harder than other, but I would say my balance is getting better. I am no longer falling over! Just wobbling a little here and there.

Peace.

No comments: