Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Evolution of a Relationship

I believe in evolution. No, not the theory of evolution (well, I do as it was intended) but in evolution of people. I believe to be successful in life, one should be in constant evolution. Learning, experiencing, digging into your soul for who you really are (not how society has shaped you), are all ways that cause us to evolve. I like to consider myself ever evolving. I like to hope that everyone around me is doing the same. I think we are. That is why some friends come while others go. Some friends you grow closer with while others you just don't mesh anymore because of the evolution of one, the other, or both.

I think part of a successful evolving relationship is where communication is involved talking about newly accepted changes, learnings, feelings, etc. When this communication lacks, the relationship may fall apart, or become highly distant and/or complicated.

This is what makes good friends great and mediocre friends fade away. People do enter your life at the right time to teach you something new. I am never sad to lose a friend who taught me something that made me better. While I am sad when they fade away or drop off completely, I accept it and move on.

Sometimes these relationships require new rules. Good example is that my mother and I NEVER talk about politics. It keeps peace and harmony when we are together. It does not mean that I an silent about my views, we just know that it causes contention where it is not necessary so avoid the topic. I think this is good at finding where your ground is with people. I avoid religious topics with some friends, child rearing frustrations with others. I just want a peaceful life and as an observer, know who and who not to talk to about certain subjects. I keep my identity, yet keep the peace too.

I know and understand boundaries. I know and understand how to push some boundaries too. That is part of evolution. Pushing boundaries to move ahead and helping others when you think they are ready. Nothing is better than becoming in sync with someone and progressing with them through change. It is symbiotic.

I sure hope I never stop in my evolution in life. I hope my friends never hit a stagnant spot either. Move on and move forward. Become better. And all the other cliches.

No comments: