Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Not Sure Why I Am Feeling Like This

So it has been long known that I think marriage is a crock of shit. Most people are not faithful, most marriages now days end in divorce, and a lot that do survive are miserable. I personally don't think I need a piece of paper or a ring or a ceremony to tell the world I love my partner and want to spend the rest of my life with him. I don't need vows, I don't need recognition. Those who matter know our love for each other, and those who don't matter, well, don't matter. What I DO need is that safety that a marriage provides to my rights as a life partner. The rights to make decisions in my partners illness or death. The rights to have closure on my terms and bury him how he wanted and vice versa. If all my family is dead before I die and the last relative I have is an estranged sibling or niece/nephew, I don't want them touching my funeral, my assets, etc. That is what I want my partner to do. I don't think I should have to pay a lawyer to draft up powers of attorney for us to get these same legal rights that a drunken couple who just met and walk into a courthouse and pay $30 for a license and get married can do. That is FUCKED UP!

So, North Carolina, Amendment 1, is really bugging me that it passed last night. I don't live there. I don't plan to live there. It has happened in so many other states and never really bothered me before. So why now?

That being said, I wonder why the whole North Carolina Amendment 1 is pissing me off so bad, but reading back on it, I guess I do. It is the fact that ignorant bigots are VOTING TO SECLUDE ME FROM RIGHTS THAT ANY IN-BRED, REDNECK, MOTHER FUCKERS CAN DO 15 TIMES AND I CANNOT DO ONCE. Maybe, just maybe, that is what is pissing me off so badly today. Another thing that pisses me off is the some of the same people voting to seclude me from these CIVIL RIGHTS are those who not even 50 years ago were fighting for civil rights themselves. If they remembered that civil rights are the issue here, not what "Jesus", their preacher, or "the Bible" say, then this whole thing would never have passed or come close!

Now, I realize there is a lot of hate and judgement in getting this off my chest, so I want to  thank those who are educated enough, who are sympathetic to the human race, who are open minded, who are loving and voted against this movement in North Carolina. They should be recognized and I apologize to the readers if I sound at all condescending. I probably am.

Wow..I feel so much better now. Guess I just needed to get it out there!

No comments: