Monday, September 7, 2009

Are you sure I am not European?

So I am noticing that I have very little problem carrying a conversation with people from other countries. We chat in my line at work and have a grand ol' time. I talk with foreign friends and can carry a delightful dialog with them, but with my American counterparts, I often find nothing to talk about with them.

What is it that gives me so much in common with our foreign friends that allows me these wonderful experiences? Why is it I have a hard time talking with people of my own national background? I am confused...

I sort of figure that I have very different world views and more open minded about things, but that should not hinder my socializing with them. I don't know sports, and not really up on politics that much, I don't really care about pop culture, and don't need to know who Brittany Spears is dating. Maybe that is the difference. I like to experience life through food, music, social interactions, not from watching it on TV or reading about it in a tabloid.

I am glad however that I have friends that I do enjoy. Often I wonder what makes us friends since sometimes we have very little in common, but then I get together with them and have such a great time and experience I don't question the luck of our relationship. I do swear however that I must be European! Maybe not in this life, but in one previously!

1 comment:

Brooke said...

food brings us all together :]