Friday, July 17, 2009

When The Feeling Strikes

So today I saw something I don't see often. My friend and I were grabbing a small bite to eat at Taco Cabana. As we were eating I saw some young punks show up on the patio. I did not think much of it. One was short, scruffy, pierced mouth, and had a military backpack on. The other, tall, red mohawk, black denim jacket with some punk band's graphic sewn to the back of it. Nothing out of the ordinary for Austin. My friend and I kept talking as I watched these young guys. All of the sudden the short one bent over into a garbage can and started digging. After a moment he popped out with a full soft taco in hand as if he just struck gold. The both came inside to the salsa bar and filled up on salsa, limes and whatever else they could get. I felt bad for them. They went back out into the 103 degree patio and started to share the taco. It seemed as if they had not eaten for awhile by the way they slowly shared it, each taking one bite then setting it down for the other to take his. My heart felt warm and I reached into my pocket for my wallet. I had a dollar in there. There was nothing in the restaurant that even cost a dollar. I contemplated how much change I had in the car. I had a feeling these guys could really use some food. Thank god today was payday and I had some money in the account. I told Cat to wait a second and walked out to the patio.
"You guys want some tacos?" I asked.
"YEAH!" the short one belted, then humbly said, "thanks."
I asked them what kind they wanted. The tall one said, "Anything with meat in it," so I asked, "Beef or chicken?"
"Beef," they both replied.
As I was walking in the door, they shot out another thanks. I went to the counter and ordered them 4 beef tacos. I contemplated buying more, and I probably should have, but I had to take into account the lack of money I actually had. I took the receipt to them and told them to just go pick it up. The gave another thanks and then had smiles on their faces.
I tried not to watch them as they came in to pick up the food or as they grabbed some water and more salsas. I tried not to watch as their beaten down moods had changed to smiling conversation. They still sat on the patio with a stray dog under foot but this time seeming to enjoy it. Cat was trying to make a bigger deal out of it than it was. I had to tell her it is nothing I do often, but I just had a feeling they really needed it. A quick change of conversation lead to me talking about children's films while I continued to elusively watch young guys.
We left about the same time as they did. Them with smiles on their faces and something in their stomachs and me feeling that I could at least give them a little something, but my gut feeling still knowing I did the right thing.
Any of you who know me know I always follow my gut feeling and really don't have much sympathy for beggars or homeless, but when the feeling strikes....

No comments: