Sunday, November 16, 2008

California Dreamin'

Well, it seems life can deliver you lemons (like my job and boss from hell) but if you take those lemons, sell them, and book a flight to San Diego then fuck the lemonade and get out of Dodge! I have to leave in a few hours and am truly not looking forward to the return to life in Vegas. I don't want to go to work. I don't want to pack the house, I don't want to try and Craigslist the rest of the stuff we don't want to take with us.
I do want to see Walter. I do want to prepare for the move. I do want to move. Again...getting out of Dodge and this time for good. I realized while down here that normal hours do exist. Nice people and friends abound. And, if I did not know it already, my job makes me miserable and I need a new one.
I have had five full days of smiling and whimsy. I have not thought of work, breathed work, or missed work. I have a less happy face on now realizing that I have to return to work in about 16 hours. But, time to paste on a smile and move ahead. I only have 5 weeks left in hell, ummm, I mean at the Santa Fe, and I need to make the most of them. I do work with some truly amazing people and really enjoy their company. I will miss them. Unfortunately, we happen to work at one of the worst places (formerly a Fortune Top 100 Places to Work For until it went private earlier this year) and that makes us a little more on edge than we were in the past. I feel very lucky I am escaping. I guess I need not vent on my job from hell, but more so on my wonderful trip!
We are talking happy hour twice with Paco and cheap fish tacos and chicken flautas at Baja Betty's. A walk around and in the Hotel Del Coronado as well as a nice walk along the beach with a kite in tow. I got some wonderful shots while at the beach (yes, even some of hot guys) to add to my collection and maybe start my new series of works on So Cal hot spots. Off to a night at Pecs to see one of the new contestant on TOP CHEF who is a bartender there. We kicked off watching the season opener while enjoying heavily poured cocktails and having lovely conversation. I subsequently visited this bar each night for the rest of my trip. Hunky men, heavy drinks and a nice atmosphere.
We were heading to wine country in Temecula for a nice Saturday afternoon until wildfires broke out in So Cal and stopped 3 of our friends from coming to meet us there. Tossing up the thought of still going we decided to go anyway, just the 3 of us, and enjoy some wine and food there. On our way, the fates were against us and the car started acting weird and overheating causing us to rethink the trip. All the signs were saying not to go, so we adhered and turned around. We ended up in downtown San Diego at the Hyatt sipping wine and having an array of cheeses enjoying a spectacular view of all of San Diego and its surrounding beauty.
Now I sit back at home...time has passed and I have to work in 4 hours. I am going in rejuvenated, refreshed, and just waiting to see what hell has broken out over the past week I have been gone. Wish me luck!

No comments: