Sunday, October 12, 2008

Give Someone A Hug

I think we underestimate the power of affection. We need it, our family needs it, our friends need it, and even sometimes near strangers need it. The power of a hug is amazing.

The other day I had a friend over for dinner. I noticed that she was not quite herself just as I was not quite myself. It seems we had similar dilemmas. We are both moving soon and our partners are not proving the most concerned about the details. This is probably because she and I have made most of the arrangements, done most of the research and have taken the burden of stress on our shoulders merely our of being control freaks and wanting to make sure everything is done and done right. This is not a time to drop the ball on anything. We talked about almost everything except our moves. She spend her days off cuddled up to a book and a bottle or 2 of wine. I spent my last few days off watching TV, thinking of working out and thinking of packing. We were both avoiding the move in someway and releasing the burden, which was obviously not helping our inner-being. After eating and some venting, then some cleaning up, she started to walk out of the kitchen. I stopped her, brought her back and gave her a nice big hug. I think it was more therapeutic for me than it was for her, but I am sure it helped each of us the same. The loneliness left, the mood changed, and, I am sure the chocolate raspberry martinis helped, but we were more in sync than we had been all night. We finished up by a quick decision to play (and ultimately not win at) BINGO.

What is my point to this rambling? Pay attention to each others needs! Recognize when someone needs something! Give a hug freely and often; it can do you a bit of good too! (Make it a real nice big bear hug...squeeze and hold. Throw your head into the shoulder! Make the most of it. It is cheap caring therapy!)

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I miss my Stevie. You're such a good friend. You always give awesome hugs. Thanks for letting Dean bunk w/you guys next weekend. I'll try and call this week; I'm on East Coast Time.