Friday, December 4, 2009

I Heart Christmas...but why I am feeling like I am so different?

Christmas is my favorite holiday of all time. I love to decorate, buy presents, listen to the carols and songs, host and attend parties, bake, cook, drink egg nog. This year however I feel different. While all those thing I love to do hold true, I feel crazy because I feel perfectly content not receiving a thing for the holiday. Give me a call and a chat. Give me a card. Give me a piece of yourself because that is what really lasts with me. Give me a memory. Give me a hug. Give me your time. I guess that does sound contradictory to what I just said about being content not getting anything, but I guess I meant that I did not need a "typical gift".

Our spending budgets are set to coincide with moving budgets and all. I ask Walter what he is wanting for Christmas with no answer. He asks me what I want, and honestly I want a new iMac, 50" LCD HDTV, Blue Ray Player and some of my favorite movies on Blue Ray, and a plane ticket home to go see my family sometime in January of February....but since those happen to be way out of our budget until I find a better paying job, I don't really want anything.

Am I that different? I don't think I am the "I want it all or nothing" type of person. Just the things I really want I don't really need...I just want. Do I have something that works instead of those things that I want? Hell yes! I have a nice 51" projection HDTV, a 400 disc DVD player, a desktop AND a laptop computer, and hundreds (might be closer to a thousand) movies to watch and enjoy. So why be put into debt trying to attain things that I just want and don't really need? Well, I think that is why Walter and I set X-mas spending budgets each year. But even on the small budget set, there is still nothing that I really want. Kind of crazy isn't it.

I have to say I am grateful for all that I do have. I have a great life! I have a man who loves me, a nice place to lay my tired head at night. I have a job with a great company. I have loving friends and family. I have enough to pay my bills each month and enjoy other things as well. I have a nice car. I have my health, and health care. I have nothing for want. Tis the season to give and be grateful for what I do have, which I am.

Do my views make me different? I really feel they do. I feel that so many people are focused on what they want for Christmas, focused on the "stresses" of the holiday, that they forget to enjoy the season. It is a season of giving. A season, for those who are religious, to remember the birth of Jesus Christ. A season to remember old friends, welcome new one, and appreciate them. A season to love your family, even though you know they are heavily flawed and sometimes don't love you back. It is a reminder of how loving and giving we should be year round, not just during the season. It is a season of appreciation.

I heart Christmas and all it entails! I hope this year we all remember what the season really is about, not matter what it means to you.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I'm right with you! I want absolutely nothing for Christmas this year! I told Dean that we could spend $20, but that more than anything I wanted him to do something special for me...not buy me something. I'm all done Christmas shopping and got the kids all things they need....not what they wanted. I'm totally in agreement with you! Well said!