Friday, July 25, 2008

Controversial Olympics???

So is it just me, or are these the most controversial Olympic Games in history. Lets make a list of some of the happenings:

-- Tibet - need I say more.
-- Today Iran being told they cannot attend now.
-- Chinese Government evicting people from their homes with violence and in the middle of the night so that they can plant gardens. People literally being in their homes one day and the next morning not only are the people gone but the home had been knock down!
-- The pollution the Chinese are trying to clean up and get cleared out mere week before the start of the games.
-- Thousands of people besieged as the final tickets go on sale in Beijing
-- Chinese government having to change some media laws and opening media ways for Olympic reporting coverage...

The list can go on and on. Every day I am hearing something new.

While talking with one of my dealers who is from Beijing and asking "What the fuck?" she reminded me how good we do have it in the US having the freedoms that we do often take for granted. The freedom to speak out against our President and other government officials, the freedom to live how we want to and feel safe. I often forget that my big mouth would have been killed along time ago in some countries, but here in the States, I am free to go against the grain if I want to. I feel fortunate of that.

No comments: