Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Beginning

There always has to be a start, so now I am sitting with my iced coffee (second glass in the past hour) deciding what to start my blog with.

I guess I should first start with the reason I am beginning this blog. I figure it is time to have a place that is private yet still public to voice my opinions, frustrations, loves, pleasures, and everything that stems from them. Also, it will allow friends, family, and strangers to get my point of view and the ability to disagree with me or concur. I am on the internet so much doing a lot of nothing, that I may as well do something now.

Yesterday my friend Dave from Salt Lake City was passing through on his way to Comic Con. We have not seen each other in 4 years. The nice thing about good friends is that you don't have to see each other on a daily, weekly, or even yearly basis to get along. We had a fantastic time. Walter and I met up with him and 2 of his friends at The Star Trek Experience for dinner. What a great time we had being geeky with our talk of comics, movies and really not much talk of Star Trek itself (me not being much of a Trekkie). It was followed by an evening of catching up, drinking, some gambling and even an over paid stripper (per Walter's enjoyment). To say the least, it was fantastic.

It made me start thinking how nice it was to see someone I don't get to see often and reunite. How often do we think of a friend and let it pass. I know I am very guilty of that. I think to myself, "Gosh, I need to call them," but give an excuse why I can't. "I'm tired." "I'm not in the mood to talk." "I haven't talked to them in so long, I wonder if they will remember me." I am an idiot for thinking that. If they are truly friends, and you really are one, do any of those excuses matter? It only takes 10 minutes to catch up and really less than a minute to leave a message if that is what comes your way.

This summer so far has been a reconnection of friends for Walter and I. We went to Austin a few weeks back and reconnected with some of Walter's friends from high school; some he had not seen in about 15 years! You know you are friends when people take time out of their busy lives to travel over an hour to see you just for a few hours. We has such a wonderful time. I met new friends and Walter was able to reminisce of past memories. This next weekend I will get to see my best friend Albert who I have not gotten to see since Christmas time. I spoke with my buddy George in Indiana, who I have not talked to in almost a year, and was able to catch up with him. I am learning that I need to be a better friend to all these people I love so much. They each have helped to shape me and edify my life's experiences, and they need to be contacted more than a yearly Christmas card! It is always a pleasure to catch up though, no matter how much time has passed.

I guess I had more to write on this blog than I expected. I guess I will stop this gibberish and leave some for another entry.

'Til next time...

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Wahooo! Welcome to Blogging...it's liberating! http://wdavis.blogspot.com/

I'm in Freakin Pekin for my 20 year class reunion, and I'm having a hard time with how hick-y this town is. I checked in to my hotel tonight (motel is more like it) to a drunk guy screetching karaoke at the bar adjacent to the lobby. I'm sure it's going to be a crazy weekend! Love your guts! Wendy

Temujin said...

Does that mean you're going to call Dallas? :P

Temujin